With a control centre on the Copperbelt, we operate and maintain a network comprising transmission, distribution and generation assets.
Our assets comprise an emergency power generation capacity of 80MW, transmission and distribution network of around 1,000 km of overhead power lines, 41 high voltage substations and electricity network carrying capacity in excess of 700MW.
We operate an interconnector with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), through which power is wheeled to Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa.CEC is member of the Southern African Power Pool and listed on the Lusaka Stock Exchange.
CEC’s strategy is to:-
- grow and diversify its business by pursuing viable opportunities in the energy and telecommunication sectors;
- play a role in observing and shaping the present and future business environment for the benefit of the Company, its customers, and its suppliers;
- develop strategic partnerships with technical and financial resources to realise a shared vision of energy infrastructure development in Zambia and surrounding territories.
Factors that drive growth in CEC’s core business include:-
- expansion of mining activities by CEC’s existing mine customers;
- connection of new mines and other mining related businesses currently being planned;
- mining fuelled growth of CEC’s domestic wheeling in the form of domestic (expanding towns), industrial and commercial loads on the Copperbelt;
- power trading involving CEC’s owned international Interconnector between Zambia and DRC.
Our new transmission and generation projects, have both a national and regional impact
Our key strengths:-
- Over 50 years of experience in supplying power to the mines;
- Circa around 1,000 kilometres of 220kV and 66kV transmission lines;
- 540 kilometres of optic fibre on power lines;
- 250 kilometres in trenches;
- 41 high voltage substations and dedicated control centre;
- 80MW embedded thermal generation;
- Power transmission for national utilities – Zambia and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC);
- Owns Zambian part of the Zambia – DRC Interconnector line;
- Accounts for over 50% of power consumed in Zambia;
- Actively expanding into Africa.
Respected regionally for our skills in designing and operating transmission systems we have close links with Zambian and African power and mining sectors
- We are committed to supply reliable energy and high quality services to meet our customers’ unique and changing needs efficiently and proactively;
- Increase value for our shareholders
Our VisionTo be the leading Zambian investor, developer and operator of energy infrastructure in Africa by providing innovative solutions and building strategic partnerships through committed professional teams
- Being honest in all our dealings
- Supporting each other
- Building good team relationships
- Being open to new ideas
- Developing a ‘can do’ attitude
Meet our key executive management
Owen SilavweManaging Director – CEC Plc
Owen has been Managing Director of CEC since August 2014, when he also took up the appointment to the board, having served…
Mutale MukukaChief Financial Officer
Mutale was appointed Chief Financial Officer in August, 2014. Prior to this, he served as CFO for subsidiary CEC Africa…
Christopher NthalaChief Operating Officer
Christopher was appointed Chief Operating Officer for CEC in early 2013, to head the Operations Directorate…