About the role
We currently have a career opportunity for ACCOUNTANT – CAPITAL (x1). Reporting to the Senior Financial Analyst, you will provide financial accounting support for all capital and operational projects to ensure appropriate application of financial resources in a manner consistent with the objectives of the Company.
What you will be expected to do to reach success and optimal performance:
- Prepare budgets for capital and operational projects and regulate the expenses within budgetary framework.
- Conduct financial evaluation of project proposals to determine their soundness.
- Approve all requisitions on project expense as budget controller.
- Capitalize all project labour hours and assist project managers to capitalize their projects at completion stage.
- Maintain a fixed asset register and ensure that all commissioned and decommissioned assets are captured and reflected.
- Carry out monthly reconciliation of the fixed asset register with the general ledger.
- Initiate depreciation of capital equipment to reflect the current value as per the standard accounting procedure.
- Prepare financial models to aid planning and decision making and provide advice based on analyses for trends, patterns and critical issues.
- Prepare reports to project managers for monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Maintain a low-value asset register and ensure that all commissioned, transferred and decommissioned assets are captured and reflected.
- Demonstrate behaviour in line with CEC’s health, safety and environmental standards, corporate values, standards and a professional workplace.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Grade 12 School Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy or Intermediate qualified in Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
- Minimum 4 years’ post-qualification experience in a large commercial firm.
- Excellent command of English with good report writing abilities.
- Knowledge of accounting standards and requirements.
- An analytical mind with problem solving aptitude and a keen eye for detail.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office.
- Ability to understand the sources of risk and evaluating the risks and methods of their control and mitigation.
- Excellent numeracy, literacy and IT skills especially in Microsoft Excel.
If you have the relevant experience and skills as indicated above, kindly email your application to [email protected] Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your e-mail and use your full name and the job you are applying for as the filename of your application (e.g., MuyanganaMulenga_Accountant–Capital). The application should consist of your letter and CV only, in a single document. Hardcopy applications will not be accepted. The closing date is Wednesday, 20 March 2019.
Applicants are requested to provide day time contact telephone numbers. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Who We Are
The Copperbelt Energy Corporation Plc (“CEC”), is a Zambian incorporated and publicly traded power transmission, distribution, generation and supply company; accounting for around 50% of national power consumption. CEC is a major developer of energy infrastructure in Africa and a leading international power trader in Southern Africa.
The Company owns and operates over 1,000 kilometres of high voltage transmission lines and 42 substations covering all towns in Zambia’s mineral-rich region of the Copperbelt. CEC owns, operates and maintains the Zambian portion of the electricity interconnector with the Democratic Republic of Congo, which enables transportation of power within the Southern African region.