The Copperbelt Energy Corporation PLC (CEC) is an independent power transmission and distribution Company with interests in closely linked businesses in Zambia and the African region.
CEC invites applications from suitably qualified, innovative and dynamic individuals to take up the position of Engineer – Protection based at our Head Office in Kitwe and reporting to the Senior Engineer – Protection.
The role is responsible for designing, installing, testing, commissioning and maintaining various protection and control equipment such as protection schemes, monitoring devices, alarm schemes and instruments to ensure efficiency and reliability of the electrical power network.
- Provide technical support in the design, installation and commissioning of protection and control schemes in order to optimise the operation of the power system configuration.
- Provide specifications for capital projects, adjudicate tenders, witness factory acceptance tests and supervise installation and commissioning and site acceptance testing of turnkey and CEC initiated projects.
- Plan and implement efficient and effective system equipment maintenance programs.
- Facilitate rapid fault investigations and quick restoration of services to sustain operations.
- Carry out engineering studies to ensure correct operation and grading of protective devices on the power system to prevent adverse damage to primary plant equipment and other installations as well as prevent loss of life.
- Carry out modifications and alterations to protection system installations in order to adapt them to new technologies and operating requirements as well as update all drawings associated with such modifications.
- Investigate system failures and institute corrective and preventative measures to avoid recurrence of similar incidents.
- Contribute to the development of the departmental budget and provide support to management of departmental expenditure within the prescribed budget to achieve cost control and savings.
- Demonstrate consistent behavior in line with the Company’s HSE and Risk Management policies, procedures and standards.
- Create and maintain a safe and secure work environment through proactive risk identification, reporting and management.
- Demonstrate behavior in line with CEC values, standards and expectations of a professional workplace.
- Participate as an effective team member in working collaboratively with leaders, peers and relevant others (including from other teams) to achieve business goals.
- Optimize human resources in a way that ensures that maximum productivity is delivered by the section.
Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- Registered Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant electrical engineering experience in a role and context of similar complexity.
- Knowledge of CEC power system operations including switching, equipment access and control of the electrical system parameters.
- Sound knowledge of electrical engineering drawing conventions and ability to modify and propose modifications to electrical engineering drawings.
- Proven ability to prepare and review technical requirements for Scopes of Work (with regard to telecomms & SCADA, metering & protection & instrumentation equipment & systems) for tender procurement purposes.
- Detailed appreciation of IEC61850 protocol and engineering.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Full competency in Microsoft-based programs and engineering applications.
If you are keen on the above position, kindly email your application to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your e-mail and use your full name and the job title as the filename of your application (e.g., MwiyaBanda_Engineer – Protection). The application should consist of your letter and CV only, in a single document. Hardcopy applications will not be accepted. The closing date is: Thursday, 21 June 2018.