The Copperbelt Energy Corporation PLC (CEC) is an independent power transmission and distribution Company with interests in closely linked businesses in Zambia and the African region.
CEC invites applications from suitably qualified, innovative and dynamic individuals to take up the position of System Planning Engineer based at our Head Office in Kitwe and reporting to the Manager – System Planning.
To strategically plan, engineer the entire CEC system and analyse its performance so that the flow of reliable and failsafe power is continuous in conformity with the system operations policy, international standards and CEC’s diversified growth programme in a customer focused and professional manner.
- To evaluate the CEC network capability and assess the need for additional capacity in the event of system growth and development so that future operational risks associated with running the system are identified and mitigated in advance;
- To perform all system modelling, system studies and network analysis (load flows, fault analysis, harmonic analysis, stability studies, motor acceleration, load forecasting strategies, etc.) using modern engineering software tools and document the results for effective power system analysis;
- To undertake project feasibility studies involving preparation of primary equipment specifications in conformity with international standards and CEC’s codes of practice and provide high level prepare project cost estimates to update and validate regularly the system technical database for primary equipment;
- To provide and maintain technical operating and electrical construction standards and guiding principles to all technical personnel to ensure that the resulting system is operated within CEC security and quality of supply codes of practice for assured customer satisfaction;
- To identify and recommend detailed and comprehensive CEC power system optimization proposals;
- To provide technical and consultancy services to our existing and prospective clients in the electrical energy utilization, distribution network planning & operation in accordance with prevailing technological norms and good utility practices;
- To frame and implement Company policies and procedures on all aspects of system planning and operations in harmony with Company objectives and cross-functional needs;
- To plan, monitor and control the sectional budget on Project Expenditure Proposals (PEPs) and materials so as to timely phase expenditure and reduce costs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum: Grade 12 Certificate;
- Desirable: Bachelor’s Degree (BEng) in Electrical Power Engineering;
- Accreditation: Registered Engineer of Engineering Institution of Zambia;
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years’ relevant power system transmission experience or in a role and context of similar complexity.
- Power System Analysis skills of sufficient capability to give guidance to other Engineers;
- Appropriate leadership skills for direction, motivation, development and performance management of staff;
- Sound knowledge of electrical theory, practice and commercial arrangements underpinning the operation of the power system;
- An in-depth understanding of CEC business strategy and drivers;
- Qualifications leading to membership status of a legally recognised professional body (EIZ) in the field of electrical power engineering.
If you are keen on the above position, kindly email your application to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your e-mail and use your full name and the job title as the filename of your application (e.g., GemstoneGobe_System Planning Engineer). The application should consist of your letter and CV only, in a single document. Hardcopy applications will not be accepted.
The closing date is Monday 26 February 2018.